Monday, July 5, 2010

Überdad and the Domestic Goddess

Today, Sarah decided it was Daddy Day. Unbeknownst to her (and it wouldn't have changed her plan one little bit anyway), he is DYING from THE WORST COLD IN THE HISTORY OF EVER. But did that stop him from giving Sarah the best father/daughter day possible? It did not. They had crepes for lunch, went to Toy Story 3 (Sarah got scared and insisted on leaving during a scene that she described thusly: "Mom, Buzz Lightyear had to have a time out" -- you can imagine her horror) and then spent the rest of the day at the pool. How do you beat that? I'll tell you how: you can't. Sorry, Other Dads. Tom won.


And I? I made this house submit, by god. I washed, folded and PUT AWAY (yes, I did!) seven loads of laundry (how do three people generate that much laundry? How? I will wear the same pair of shorts for three days running, so it ain't me). I swept the entire downstairs. I cleaned the kitchen. I watered the garden. I emptied the compost and took out the garbage and recycling. I put everything back where it belonged. And it was good. 


At 6:00, Sarah and Tom made their return. Within moments, the house was garlanded with towels and strewn with sodden swimsuits and abandoned toys. But also filled with Sarah's delight and her stories of the day. And it was good.

7 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

As someone who finds extreme stress relief from massive cleaning sessions (though not the daily grind cleaning duties), I am totally envious of your cleaning day. :)

Grace said...

Hooray for Dad & Daughter Day - and oh, do I know (and love) that feeling of being LEFT ALONE to CLEAN!!

And even though new mess was created when they got back, it's FRESH mess. Upon a substrate of CLEAN.

Tom said...

Ah, thanks for the blog love. It was mighty fun, despite the cold.

Tasha said...

Wow, Tom does deserve the award! Most men with a man-cold wouldn't be able to get out of bed!

Cindy said...

I saw Toy Story 3 on Monday also .... And yes, it was stressful to see Buzz in the time out chair, but not as stressful as dealing with that dirty smelly bear and the "big baby" ...

Well, we all have our sore spots, don't we? :)

I will say that Buzz in Spanish mode was hilarious!

mommatosena said...

Tia I love that the family is finding a stride again and sharing fun times. Tom was a great class mate so I am not suprised that he is a stellar father! Toy Story 3 is going on the list of movies to see and we will prepare to see Buzz in TO!

AG Ambroult said...

oh yes. it's the putting away that make laundry so dreaded. I just did the same thing with five loads the other day....