Awesome Friend Bess is in the house!
Peeps, my friend Bess drove all the way from New York City to visit our girl in the hospital. The last time I saw her? Was when she drove all the way from New York City this summer to visit me in the hospital, three days (as it turned out) before Jane was born. That's a damn good friend.
Not long before Bess arrived I spoke with Dr. Congenial, and the consensus: BOSTON. It's ON.
(I don't know what's going to happen next time Bess visits -- the whole family moves to Belize? We win the lottery? I mean, Bess arrives and big things happen. I'm just sayin'.)
Just, what, four days ago (is that when Friday was?) a transfer seemed off the table. No more. From what Dr. Congenial told us, it was not a unanimous decision, but it was a majority decision. The way he put it is that *he* doesn't think there'll be a good outcome (oh, these goddamned euphemisms -- but I'm NOT going to interpret because I don't want to say it and don't agree anyway) unless they transfer her -- I don't know what the rest of the team thinks. But the decision has been made. All that remains is to coordinate things with the other hospital so that Dr. Boston is around (hmm -- he's going to need a new name, seeing as how they'll all be Boston doctors) and the staff he wants on is on. And all that sort of thing.
Guess it'll be sometime next week. Jane's doing better today, so there's no need to rush things.
And, yes, Jane was definitely doing better today. The nitric seemed to be the thing. She was much happier today, much more herself. She was alert and interactive in a way she hasn't been in a few days. Her oxygen is still a little higher (mostly in the 50s and 60s), but she had a crappy couple of days. It's going to take a while for her to completely recover, I would think. We did try to breastfeed for a bit, but that was a fail. She just couldn't quite settle even though she was sort of interested. Hopefully it'll go better tomorrow.
So, yeah. Transfer. I wish I could say it was going to happen on X date and last so long, but we don't know a thing yet. It may be a consult, it may be a longer term transfer. And I don't expect we'll have any answers until after she's been down there for a while. Stay tuned.
In the meantime, we need to figure out how to get Jane's posse down there with her. I wonder if the new hospital needs six temporary nurses in the NICU...